Six Months of Travel: By The Numbers
We just celebrated our six-monthaversary of travel, and we thought it would be fun to take a look at where we’ve been and what we’ve done, by the numbers.
- Miles Traveled: 45,315. This is “as the crow flies” mostly, so we’ve actually traveled many more miles, but it’s a good approximation.
- Modes of Transportation: 13. Plane, boat, car, truck, bus, train, camel, canoe, feet, bicycle, ATV, cycle rickshaw, auto rickshaw, dolmus.
- Number of beds slept in: 55. That’s an average of 3.3 nights in each bed, and includes 11 different overnight trains in India. Not included: the one time Danielle slept in a patch of dirt in a park in Mumbai. This is not a joke, it actually happened.
- Number of Sick Days: 3 each. We both had a mild flu in Agonda, India. No stomach problems yet, *knocks vigorously on wood*
- Countries Visited: 10. India, USA, Germany, Morocco, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Turkey.
- Continent Count: 4. North America, Asia, Africa, Europe.
- Dollars Spent: $15,292. This is just a hair under budget, with the cheapest region of the trip (Southeast Asia) yet to come!
- Cups of Tea Consumed: 8,326. Just kidding. I have no clue, but it’s probably in the many hundreds. I’m drinking Turkish tea as I type this.
- Shipments Home: 5. Twice, we’ve paid to ship things, twice we’ve sent things home with parents who have come to visit, and once we left a bunch of stuff in Johannesburg for our Airbnb hosts to donate to charity on our behalf.
- Things Lost/Broken: 7. I lost three pairs of sunglasses in India, we lost our point-and-shoot camera in India, I broke my electric beard trimmer in South Africa, and Danielle lost her eye mask somewhere in Africa. Finally, I played cricket with some kids in Khajuraho, India and hit the ball over a fence, into a highway. Oops.
- Citations Received: 2, almost 3. We got a citation for riding the Rabat metro without a ticket, we got a ticket in Zimbabwe because our rented camper didn’t have white reflective tape on the front, and later, we nearly got a second ticket in Zimbabwe for having no light over our license plate. We got out of that one because the ticket was $15, but we only had $6 and a paperback book on us.
- Books Read: 20 (Adam), 12 (Danielle). We’ve been reading up a storm while we travel. Last year I think I read about 10 books total. Accomplished that our first three months on the road this year. Hoping to hit 50 by the end of the year, so I guess I need to pick up the pace!
And finally, some stats about our blog:
- Words Written: 38,838. Not quite a word per mile traveled, but hey, we’re a little bit behind at the moment.
- Total Posts: 34. Wow, we’re behind.
- Total Visits: 2,254. This includes readers from 69 countries and 44 US States and DC. So if you know people in Alaska, Hawaii, New Mexico, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Wyoming, do us a favor and send them here!
Well, there you have it, six months of travel by the numbers. I can’t wait to see what the next six months has in store for us!